This is what usually happens to so called “traitor customers”
– The current design company website sends to your client a strong bill for change
– The web design company cancels their client’s account
– You can specify the domain name to another place
– Sometimes the entire website down until further notice
You get the point! Too much power is given to the web design company. I truly believe that is their right to buy the best price and it is their right to own your domain name, even if they had a hand in the registration of your domain name.
As a website owner, you put your confidence in your web design company to represent your business appropriately and honestly, only to find the road that honesty is not in his vocabulary.
I truly believe that there should be a law against web design companies that can be summarized as such: For any domain name registered by the web design company on behalf of his client, the domain name can not be discussed or the need to be disputed, the domain name is automatically owned by the client and is automatically bound by their web development contract.
With each new venture, there will always be empty. In the above example, what happens if there is a contract? If you’re reading this and are in the process of finding a web design company, please make sure you have a contract drafted, outlining everything you are entitled and have rights to their domain name.
See what most business owners do not realize is that your domain name is as important as the record of the name of the company itself. I’ll repeat that … Your domain name is “hot real estate” that you want someone else owning your property?
The same applies to your domain name. Do not get caught with their pants down while asking, why do not I own my domain name. Is as important as owning your own company name. There are people out there looking for suckers to take their domain name – which is not caught!
How to avoid this “Power of hurt” disaster:
The best solution is to go out and register your domain name before hiring a web design company. Ultimately, it gives you power over your domain name. At one point, you can go back and log into your “domain name holder” to change your website to any hosting company you choose.
When searching for a “whole” package for your web design project, make sure that the accommodation is suitable for your needs. 95% of all web design projects do not need a large hosting package that costs between $ 150 – $ 500 per year. The most you should pay for your accommodation in this case is about $ 100.00 a year, no more.
You only need a large hosting package if:
– Your website is 1000 pages in size
– Are you going to buy traffic at 1000 every month
– It takes more than 25 email accounts setup
Ask questions when shopping for a web design company! Here are some questions you should do immediately before signing any contract …
– Is there a contract for all your projects?
– If you register my domain name, it’s been in my contract I have with the domain name in all circumstances?
– If I am late making payments, is your company policy to cancel the account?
– Why are your hosting services high in price? Why do not I go somewhere else for $ 100 a year?
– Does your contract state that you can not switch to another hosting company later?
– Looking ahead, I’ll be able to hire any web developer, updates to my website, if I am able to negotiate better prices?
This is another important note:
Make sure your web design company gives you the “FTP (File Transfer Protocol)” access to your website. The FTP allows you to hire another web design company to enter and update their web site at any time. Without the FTP information, no one can update your site, besides the original web development company or hosting company that hired you.
Tire of web design companies that do not offer the contracts of all their projects. Be careful with your domain name, make sure the end, you own all rights to your domain name, not someone else.
I hope this helps!